12/16/2011 FTC Press Release:
FTC Warns That Rapid Expansion of Internet Domain Name System Could Leave Consumers More Vulnerable to Online Fraud
- implement the new program as a pilot program and substantially reduce the number of generic top level domains that are introduced as a result of the first application round;
- strengthen ICANN’s contractual compliance program, in particular by hiring additional compliance staff;
- develop a new ongoing program to monitor consumer issues that arise during the first round of implementing the new gTLD program;
- assess each new proposed generic top level domain’s risk of consumer harm as part of the evaluation and approval process;
- improve the accuracy of Whois data, including by imposing a registrant verification requirement.
- The Commission letter warned “If ICANN fails to address these issues responsibly, the introduction of new gTLDs could pose a significant threat to consumers and undermine consumer confidence in the Internet.”